Thursday, November 23, 2006

New yarn and stuff


Okay. First the purchase, the new sock yarn "Jitterbug" from Colinette. The colors are all gorgeous!! The only problem is the yardage is a bit light- if you're feet are relatively small you might be in trouble. As mine are Quite Wee I think I'll be okay.

Second, I got a ball of STWC's new yarn CRAFT from the upcoming "Vickie Howell Collection." It's a cotton and MILK PROTEIN blend (yes, I said milk). Pretty neat, huh? It feels like cotton, only with a nicer hand. I don't normally like cotton but I think I'll like this. Right now I'm in the middle of discussing with them what sorts of designs I'll be working on for this and the other 2 yarns in the collection, ROCK and LOVE (and also working on some design ideas for SWTC's other new yarn, INSPIRATION (alpaca/soysilk). Looks like I'm going to be very busy soon!



Speaking of busy, I'm trying to crank out some gifts. These socks are in Brooklyn Handspun in the color "Chocolate Covered Cherries." The yardage is fabulous- nearly 500 yards per skein- so I should have more than enough for the bigger-than-usual socks I'm knitting. I'm also trying to finish Hubbo's long-awaited Henry Rollins doll from Stitch n' Bitch Nation and a little hat for Emma (almost done) out of Berroco Plush (her kind of yarn!) I'm sure I'll try to squeeze in a few more too, we'll see how it goes.

So it's Thanksgiving, and I finally have time to answer Scout's meme that she tagged me for, so here it goes:
Scout’s Meme:
1. How and when did you learn how to knit/crochet? Who taught you?
I taught myself to knit 7 years ago, from a book- I think it was the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework or something like that. An old boyfriend taught me to crochet though, in high school- I think it was about 1990 or so.
2. How has this craft impacted your life? (besides financially!)
I have learned a lot, found out how patient I can be sometimes, and got to realize a dream of designing stuff and seeing it in magazines and books. Too cool!
3. Pick at least one person to talk about who you have met through the knit-world and why you are thankful to have met them. Feel free to get all mushy.
I'd have to pick all the lovely ladies of the Detroit Area Knitters- it's been great to have knitting (and yarn shopping!) pals to meet with every week. It forces me to make time for myself and for friends, which even Hubbo thinks I really needed to do.

4 comments:

Scoutj said...

Thanks for doing this. I can't wait to check out Vickie's yarn!

Larjmarj said...

Awww...I would have to concur regarding the the Detroit area knitters. We have a great group don't we? Those Tuesday nights really keep me sane. Milk yarn? Will cats follow you if you are wearing it?
Have a good Turkey day.

Shorty said...

I agree, Amy. Through the Detroit knitters I have some great friends. Especially you. Thanks for being there to help me when I get stuck.

Hope to see you tomorrow for shopping. Have a great Thanksgiving!

S

Jae said...

I couldn't stop myself from grabbing two colorways of jitterbug when I stopped in yesterday. Gorgeous! Glad to know about the yardage. I'll think of toe up sock patterns to be safe when I knit it up.