Since Secret Pal 5 stuff seems to be coming out, I thought I'd post my questionnaire answers. Here they are (I promise not to post for a few days so they don't get covered up!)
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I am a yarn snob! I prefer higher quality yarns, usually natural fibers (especially wool.)
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I used to crochet, but I haven’t for years and really don’t want to. I have dabbled in spinning but feel that mainly it takes up too much time that could be put to better use knitting.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Smoke is gross, other than that, no.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I have been knitting for 5 years, and am completely obsessed.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No—I don’t usually let books I want pile up long enough to make a wish list (I’m a compulsive book-buyer.)
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I’m not real big on scented things. Being a teacher, I get far too many candles, lotions, etc. for gifts. I have enough lotion to grease up every dry-skinned person east of the Rockies at this point. Please, no more.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, but only for ice cream. I’m on a diet (ha!) besides.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I’m strictly a knitter at this point, but I do tap dance (not really a craft)
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like most of the same music I’ve liked since I was a teenager—I’m pretty much stuck in the years 1986-1992 or so, mainly “alternative” type rock. My favorite band is The Pixies. I am MP3-able.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Favorites are black, lavender, and pink (I’m finally able to admit that I like pink!)
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am 31, married for 10 years with one daughter, age 5. I have two kitties.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Ideally I’d be able to leave teaching and do knitwear design all the time, rather than just when I can spare a minute.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
My favorite yarns are: Noro Kureyon, Koigu KPPPM, Karabella Aurora 8, Jamieson and Smith Shetland, and Opal.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I despise acrylic, especially the “Red Heart” variety. I don’t like Fun Fur or its variants. I’m not huge on cotton unless it’s Takhi Cotton Classic.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I’ve been pretty into Fair Isle lately, beaded knitting, also socks, small projects, and anything colorful. I love to get new and interesting needles too, if that counts as an obsession.
16. What is/are your favorite items to knit?
Smaller projects, since sweaters take so long! I like to knit bags, socks, hats, but not scarves. I usually go for difficult projects, but always like to have something easy going for when I can’t/don’t want to concentrate on it.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Right now I am working on my TKGA Level III Aran, a pair of Opal Socks, and a evening top to wear at the Stitches Midwest banquet in August. I’m also working on some design submissions.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I don’t have a problem with ponchos per se, except Martha’s. I made one for my daughter but not myself.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I use circulars more often (especially Addi Turbos or my Denise set) but I love how straights look, especially the fancy ones.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Wood, plastic, casein, and the smooth glide of Addi Turbos. No Boye/Susan Bates-type aluminum.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
Yes, I am a sock knitter, though not a voracious one. I usually have one pair going that I work on little by little when I’m frustrated by other projects.
22. How did you learn to knit?
I am self taught. (Interesting sidenote that a high school boyfriend taught me to crochet!)
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
5 months, and that’s long for me (it’s the socks). I’m generally pretty productive.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Hello Kitty is my favorite character.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas, even though I’m not religious. I love giving/getting gifts.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Knitting needles, Hello Kitty stuff, unusual looking vintage tins, funky stuff with pictures of sushi on it (the cornier the better!) My favorite is my sushi knitting bag from Boogybags.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
(this is embarrassing) Knitter’s, Interweave Knits, Vogue, Cast On, InKnitter’s. I sometimes buy Family Circle Easy Knitting and I do buy Knit.1 when it comes out, even though it’s mostly acrylic stuff.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Like I said, I tend to buy the books I want right away. I’m looking forward to the new Harry Potter and the new Knitting Experience books, but I’ve already pre-ordered them at Amazon.